Pet Lodging for Dogs, Cats and Other Pets
Our principal function is to render medical and surgical care to pets. However, as a service to our clients, lodging facilities are maintained. Reservations are required to ensure proper kenneling for your pet.
During the summer months and holiday periods, reservations should be made well in advance. Our patients receive priority reservations on a first come basis. Please call early for holiday and summer lodging as spots fill up quickly.
Our clients can be assured that we will provide our patients with the following:
- A clean environment
- Nutritional food and plenty of water
- Observation for signs of illness
- Adequate space
- Modern climate-controlled indoor environment
- Complimentary baths for dogs after a 7 day stay
We can accomodate diabetic pets too! Please call for details.
Standard Lodging Requirements
If vaccines were NOT given at Trooper Vet, we require written veterinary documentation of the following:
- DHLP/Parvo or FVRCP
- Bordetella (dogs only)
- Canine Influenza H3N2**
- Negative fecal test within the last year
**For the protection of your dog and all the other dogs here, the Canine Influenza series (2 vaccines to start, or the annual booster) MUST be completed no less than 7 days before arriving to lodge. If your dog has never had the Canine Influenza vaccine, please keep in mind that the series must be started 4-5 weeks prior to lodging in order for it to be effective. Dogs who do not meet this requirement will not be permitted to lodge at our hospital.
Learn more about Canine Influenza here: https://www.dogflu.com/
In order for your reservation to be complete, vaccination documentation MUST be provided within 48 hours of making the reservation.
If documentation has not been received prior to check-in or your pet is missing any of the requirements, we will schedule you into the next available appointment spot with one of our veterinarians for your pet to have an examination. This way we can have a complete and thorough conversation with you about your pet’s health and we will update vaccinations as needed. All usual exam and vaccination fees will apply.
Please be aware that there can be an extended wait for an exam if our appointment schedule is already full. Providing all documentation early can prevent this!
Animals are lodged with the following understanding
- Fleas, ticks, etc. will be treated at our discretion at regular charges. Pets often harbor these pests without the owner’s knowledge.
- Our staff will do everything possible to protect the health of your pet. This includes vaccinations against common diseases and extensive use of disinfectants during hospital and kennel cleaning. However, not all animals develop an adequate immunity to some vaccines and there are no vaccines for many common diseases. This can be a particular problem with parvovirus in dogs and upper respiratory diseases in dogs and cats. Should your pet become ill while boarding, treatment for the illness will commence immediately. Normal hospital, diagnostic, and treatment rates will be charged.
- You will be required to sign a consent form that states if there is any need for emergency surgery or medical treatment while animals are in the hospital as a lodger, we will perform such surgery and/or treatment. Payment for all services rendered must be made at discharge.
- We wash cages, bedding, toys and bowls several times a day for many animals. Therefore we cannot guarantee the return of sentimental items. Please do not bring anything you cannot part with.
- Animals from the same family can be lodged in cages next to each other, but for their safety cannot be kept in the same cage. Birds and pocket pets may be different. Please ask.
- Lodging is charged by the DAY (not by the night). Charges begin from the day of check-in and continue to the day of pick-up.
- We will waive the charge for the last day ONLY if the pet is picked up before 12 noon.
- We DO NOT have Sunday Drop-off or Pick-up. Animals cannot be admitted or discharged after regular business hours.
- 48 hours advance notice is required for cancellations.
- We will not release your pet to someone other than you unless you have made previous arrangements to do so (including payment). Photo ID will be required for the person you have pre-arranged to pick-up your pet.
There may be additional fees for the following services:
- Elimination of external and internal parasites if present (flea, ticks, hookworms, whipworms, etc.)
- Administration of medication (yours or ours).
- Emergency veterinary care if your pet becomes ill.
- Grooming by technicians.
- Complete physical exam and vaccinations if your pet is not current at the time of lodging.
What to Bring
We will provide your dog or cat with clean bedding, appropriate toys if they are interested, fresh water, and a healthy diet. If you prefer your own food to be fed, please bring it along. We wash all pet bedding and toys every day and cannot guarantee the return of a favorite toy or blanket, therefore it is best to leave personal belongings at home. You will be asked to take your carrier and leash with you and bring it when you return. Please consult us for what to bring for exotic and diabetic pets.
Upon leaving the hospital, your pet will experience a car ride, the excitement of returning home, and a possible surplus of food and water. An animal may gulp food and/or water and may develop vomiting or diarrhea.
In order to avoid this and to keep your pet as comfortable as possible, restrict your pet’s access to food or water for at least an hour after arriving at home. After this time, give small amounts of food and water often until your pet has readjusted to normal home life.