What is a Kitty Calming Kit?
Does your cat hate his carrier? Is getting your cat into the carrier next to impossible? Do you avoid bringing your cat to the vet because the stress for him (and you) is just too much? We can help!
As a certified Cat Friendly Practice, we are commited to providing the most stress-free vet visit for you and your cat. To assist you with that, we have constructed something called a "Kitty Calming Kit". These "kits" include a step-by-step guide to help your cat adjust to a cat carrier, a complimentary Feliway* wipe and instructions on how to use it. Feliway wipes are easy to use: simply wipe all inside surfaces of your cat's carrier at least fifteen minutes before you plan to transport your cat! It works on any type of carrier whether it is fabric or plastic. We want your cat's vet experience to be as stress-free as possible and this is just one way we are working to make that happen.
If you have a cat that might benefit from one of our Kitty Calming Kits, please let us know. You can stop by to pick one up or we are happy to drop one in the mail prior to your vet visit.
*Feliway is a synthetic copy of the feline facial pheromone. It creates a sense of familiarity and security in the cat's environment, which in this case is the cat carrier. It could help make the vet visit less stressful! Want to know more about Feliway? Click here: http://www.feliway.com/us/Feliway
Recipe for Success
1. A week before the visit, place the carrier in the open and prop the door open.
2. Make the carrier an attractive place by putting in soft bedding, and placing treats in the carrier. You may also want to feed your cat here.
3. Spray the carrier with Feliway® daily (8-10 pumps)
4. On the day of the visit, spray the carrier with Feliway® then wait 15 minutes before putting your cat in it.
5. Spray a towel with Feliway® and place it over your cat carrier to shield her from the strange and scary sights.
6. Make sure the cat carrier is on a flat surface during transport.
7. Once at the veterinary office, try to keep your cat elevated, off the ground and away from the other animals.
8. Leave the Feliway® sprayed towel on the carrier until your veterinarian is ready to exam your cat.