There are simple steps you can take to protect yourself, your pet and your family from zoonotic diseases caused by parasites.
- Make sure your pet is under a veterinarian’s care to help protect your pet and your family from possible parasite infections.
- Practice the four Ps: Pick up Pet Poop Promptly, and dispose of properly. Be sure to wash your hands after handling pet waste.
- Wash your hands frequently, especially after touching animals, and avoid contact with animal feces.
- Follow proper food-handling procedures to reduce the risk of transmission from contaminated food.
- For people with weakened immune systems, be especially careful of contact with animals that could transmit these infections.
To learn more, go to: https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/animals.html